Convention Family Scholarship
Help a family attend the 2014 AG Bell Convention!
About the Scholarship
AG Bell recognizes that young families with a child who is deaf have extra financial pressures. AG Bell is offering the Family Scholarship Program for deserving families who have never attended an AG Bell Convention to access information and network with other families.
Families awarded a scholarship will receive:
- One full 2014 convention registration (includes up to two badges for adult family members)
- Up to two registrations for the 2014 Children’s Program. This program is for children from infancy through age 14.
- One hotel room with two double beds for up to four nights between June 26 and June 29, 2014. The family is responsible for all travel arrangements, long distance and local, as well as food and entertainment outside of what is provided through the convention registration.
In order to be eligible for this program, applicant families must meet all of the following criteria:
AG Bell membership is not required; however, preference is given to AG Bell members.
- At least one child under the age of 18 must have a bilateral hearing loss or bilateral Auditory Neuropathy diagnosed prior to the child’s fourth birthday (pre-lingual). Note: Children with unilateral (one-sided) hearing loss or unilateral auditory neuropathy do not qualify.
- The child’s hearing loss must be in the moderately severe to profound range. This means that applicants must have an unaided Pure-Tone Average (PTA) of 55dB or greater in the better hearing ear in the speech frequencies of 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000 Hz.*
- Listening and Spoken Language must be the child’s primary mode of communication.
- Families must be first-time attendees for an AG Bell Convention.
- Parents/guardians should be able to clearly outline their need for financial assistance and how an award would help their child/family.
Applications were due by March 18, 2014.
On April 11, 2014, families will be notified whether or not they were selected to receive a family scholarship; notifications will be made by email only.
Families not selected to receive a Convention Family Scholarship will have time to register for the Convention at the Early Bird rate – the Early Bird Deadline is April 16, 2014.
Do you have questions?
If you have questions about the program or the application, send an email to Wendy Will, Youth and Family Programs Manager.